Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On Yzerman and "Hoarders"

I was in Boston and this guy was from Toronto and what does a guy ask another guy: so, uhh, you must be a Leafs fan, eh? "Nah, Wings fan." Oh really, me too, how come? "Steve Yzerman."

Guy was obsessed with Yzerman, lived breathed died Yzerman. Subjected himself to the ire of his family in Toronto and friends in Toronto and neighbors in Toronto to cheer for Yzerman. Spent a solid hour describing his favorite games and moments and memories of Yzerman. Flew back home to Toronto to be at the Hall of Fame when they were inducting Yzerman.

I was in Boston and this guy was from Baltimore and what does homeboy ask me: "so, uhh, you watch the NHL?" Yeah, Wings fan. "Oh really, I'm a Blues guy." Oh, sorry, I guess we can't talk anymore, I hate the Blues. "I understand, but I do love Yzerman." And now I'm the best man in his wedding next week. (Not true, but I didn't know how to end this paragraph.)

I know it sounds ridiculous, and it probably is ridiculous, but I honestly feel like I am a better person today because of the time I spent watching Yzerman and wanting to be like Yzerman. So many games, so many hours, so many years watching a guy do his job so well. Without Yzerman in my life I'd probably be selling horse while snorting horse and betting on the NHL (Not true, but that'd make for an interesting blog.) With Yzerman in my life? I'm finished my Ph.D. and developing fuel cell technology that will likely save Detroit and the environment and all that is holy. (Not true, but at least I'm writing a blog, put this on the fridge ma dukes.)

(All four of those paragraphs were just prelude to a complaint about reality television (really)(sorry.))

Here goes: my only problem with reality television is some of the people who watch reality television and my only problem with some of the people who watch reality television is when they say: "I just watch this because it makes me feel better about my life."

I swear that every conversation about "Jersey Shore" or "Hoarders" (or that new show "Jersey Shore: Hoarders"--isn't it a crazy fire hazard that that juiced-up obsessive compulsive has ten thousand cans of hair spray in his crib?!) ends with someone saying, "I only watch because it makes me feel better about my life" and me saying, "Dear Yzerman, please teleport me away from this place and into your tender embrace."

How exactly does that psychological process work, how does watching dysfunction make you feel better about your life? I gawk at car crashes all the time but I still don't have a car.

Not that I'm judging, I can't say shit, I'm the guy who just told you that my great moral leader is a hockey player. But I can say honestly that I've never had any kind of curiosity about Stevie's life off the ice (I assume he's married and whatnot?)(I have heard he loves to play golf, but I cannot think of a single other thing that I know about his life)(I hope he still keeps a house in Michigan, if only to microscopically artificially inflate real estate prices)(who wouldn't want to say Yzerman owns the crib next door?)

And Yzerman is the kind of guy you actually could watch to feel better about yourself. Watching Yzerman play hockey made me feel better about myself because he showed me what excellence is, what consistence is, what humility is. Watching Yzerman reminded me 82 times per year (+7 +7 +7, etc.) that I have the potential to be great. He gave me joy, he gave me hope, he made me aspire.

Watching drunk people or sick people can be interesting but feeling superior isn't feeling better. We are exactly where we were before the show started.

2 comments:

  1. I like watching people get hit in the nuts.

    Entertainment simply has to entertain you, should it really matter the motivation, the why?

    Yzerman was awesome. Even his weird name is awesome.

    I like the show Hoarders,(not that I watch it a lot, honest) it's interesting to see the psychology surrounding their issue.

    Have you ever seen the show Intervention? I think for me it's the same thing.

    Isn't Jersey Shore supposed to be funny? I've seen maybe 1 episode and I was laughing my ass off at the ridiculousness of those bros.

    I guess you're right. After an episode of Jersey Shore ends, after laughing at those douchers for a half an hour, I go back to my unemployed existence and feel no better about myself, all the while still thinking about what a bunch of friggin idiots those guys are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard Yzerman pee before. Yup, true story.

    He was a client of mine when I worked at a high end lingerie store on Michigan Ave. He would call me 5-6 times a year and I would send him lots of hot lingerie for his wife Lisa. One time I called him and he answered while in the bathroom. He just told me to hold on while he finished and flushed. I think I heard him put the seat down too. What a gentlemen.

    He was always very nice and sent me a Christmas card every year with a nice tip in it. "Thanks for all of your help this year. Merry Christmas, Steve Yzerman" I didnt keep any of the cards(much to Zach's dismay) because honestly this was pre ZJ and I didnt know a thing about hockey then. I was just happy he boosted my commission. But I'm learning and I can now throw down with any Hawks fan that comes my way. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete